Ramparts at Bird’s Fort - Built in 1841 to protect the first settlers of Tarrant County, the Fort was strategically located down river from what was once the largest Caddo village in Texas. In 1842 Sam Houston made the journey from Austin to Bird’s Fort to hold a peace council and sign a Treaty of Peace and Friendship. Unfortunately, fearing a trap the Native American chefs did not attend. In 1887, the land was developed as the Callaway Lake Hunting and Fishing Club. By 1969 the renamed Arlington Sportsman’s Club bulldozed the remains of the Bird’s Fort and installed a swimming pool. The abandoned club is now owned by a real estate development firm. Meadow Hawk Drive, Arlington TX.
Copyright 2012, Brad Ford Smith.